Safe Drinking-water Supplies: Understanding your Risks and Responsibilities - Palmerston North
Safe Drinking-water Supplies: Understanding your Risks and Responsibilities
Water New Zealand, the Society of Local Government Managers and LGNZ invite you to a two hour session on the risks and responsibilities of safe drinking-water supplies.
Responsibility for drinking-water rests on many shoulders. A failure at any point can have dire consequences. This session is designed to assist those involved in the supply chain to understand their risks and responsibilities.
Who should attend?
Anyone with a role in ensuring safe drinking-water supplies, including councillors, council staff, district health staff and board officials.
What will be covered?
- The evolution of safe water supplies, including the history of water-borne disease and public water works.
- Which water-borne contaminants make people sick, an introduction to microbiological, chemical and physical drinking-water contaminants.
- Consideration of serious first world water-borne illness outbreaks, covering outbreaks such as Milwaukee, Walkerton, Darfield and how they have changed our thinking.
- Water treatment technologies, explained in simple terms.
- The Governments compliance tools and what are they trying to achieve; The Health (Drinking Water) Amendment Act 2007 and the Drinking Water Standards for New Zealand 2005 (R2008).
- Managing risk in drinking-water supplies, ideas and concepts behind risk management.
- What responsibilities exist in the supply of safe drinking-water
Elwood Room, PNCC Convention Centre
345 Main Street, Palmerston North
Tuesday, 29 November
1.00 pm – 3.00 pm
Register online. Register online.To register for this event you will need to log in to the Water New Zealand website. If you have not logged in before you will need to set up a log in here. Please contact Amy Aldrich P: 04 495 0894 if you have any issues.
Water New Zealand
Water New Zealand is a national not-for-profit sector organisation comprising corporate and individual members in New Zealand and overseas. Water New Zealand is the principal voice for the water sector, focusing on the sustainable management and promotion of the water environment and encompassing drinking, waste and storm waters.
SOLGM is the national membership organisation for local government professionals and our role is to promote and support professional management in local government. Our focus is on providing professional leadership, promoting innovation and excellence in management practice and developing sector capability to enhance service delivery to our local communities.
Local Government New Zealand is the strong voice for great local government. We represent the national interests of councils in New Zealand and lead best practice in the local government sector. We provide advocacy and policy services, business support, advice and training to our members to assist them to build successful communities throughout New Zealand.
Jim Graham: Presenter
Jim is a Principal Environmental Scientist with Opus and has 25 years’ experience in environmental science and environmental health science, specialising in recreational and drinking-water quality. Jim was previously a senior advisor at the Ministry of Health, where he worked on the development and implementation of the New Zealand drinking-water strategy, including the preparation of drinking-water standards, the legislative framework and leading the small supplies funding assistance programme.