The 5S (Gold Shovelers) Society YWP Conference Attendance Prize offers a Water New Zealand Young Water Professional recent graduate the opportunity to attend the Water New Zealand Conference & Expo or the Water New Zealand Stormwater Conference, to broaden their knowledge and gain a greater appreciation of the water environment, water management, water engineering and the water industry at large. The objective of providing this opportunity to the recipient is that they will be better informed and motivated to advance their career in the wider water field and water industry.
The prize winner will receive:
- Travel and accommodation to the Water New Zealand Conference & Expo, provided by the Gold Shovelers.
- a full registration to the Water New Zealand Conference & Expo including the Conference Dinner or the Water New Zealand Stormwater Conference including Dinner, provided by Water New Zealand.
Following the recipient’s attendance at their chosen Conference, they will be required to make a presentation to either a local Water New Zealand branch meeting or a Young Water Professionals meeting in their geographic area covering their observations of the conference attended, and to present on a water-related topic of their choice. The duration of the total presentation should be approximately 30 minutes followed by questions and discussion. A written summary of the presentation shall also be submitted to Water New Zealand for publication in the bi-monthly Water journal.
This prize has been made possible by personal donations from members of Water New Zealand, who have received the honour of being presented a Gold Shovel as a symbol of recognition for their services to Water New Zealand and the wider New Zealand water industry. These Gold Shovel members are also known as the 5S Society.
How to Enter:
- Entering could not be simpler – just complete each section of this form.
Those eligible to enter are:
- New Zealand tertiary qualified personnel who are 25 years of age or younger at the closing date for entries as published by Water New Zealand and are working in the water environment, water engineering and water management fields or in water-related research;
- Or are students who are 25 years of age or under at the closing date for entries as published by Water New Zealand, who have obtained an undergraduate degree from a New Zealand tertiary institution in a water-related field, and/or who are studying for a water-related postgraduate qualification;
- AND must be a registered Water New Zealand Young Water Professional.
What to include in your Nomination Form:
- For those in employment after obtaining a tertiary qualification, please submit your academic record and outline your experience in the water sector to date (100 words max) or
- For those who have an undergraduate degree and are pursuing a post-graduate qualification in a water-related field, please submit your academic record and outline the subject of your research or your postgraduate study course (100 words max)
- Please provide a brief statement about your career aspirations (100 words max)
- Please summarise the water-related topic to be covered in the presentation to a local Water New Zealand branch meeting or a Young Water Professionals meeting (100 words max)
- Please explain your reason for applying for this prize (100 words max)
- Please provide the name and contact details of a referee (or referees) who the judges may contact to verify the information provided in your application pack.
Submitting a nomination:
Please fill in the following form, once completed and all supporting documents are collated upload to the completed submission to the Awards Submission Nomination Portal.
20 August Nominations Close.
Judges and Judging Criteria:
The Judging Panel shall consist of four judges.
The judging criteria shall be based on:
- University or Technical Course being studied; the Course level/stage and Academic Record to date; experience in the water sector to date if relevant; career aspirations; the water-related topic to be covered in the presentation to a local Water New Zealand Young Water Professionals meeting; the reason for applying for this prize; and any information provided by your referee(s).
- The Judges reserve the right to not offer the prize or offer more than one prize per year depending on the quality of entrants. The Judges' decision will be final.
- *Please note: due to the number of nominations for this prize the judges will not provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants