Background for Award
This Award has been made possible by personal donations from members of Water New Zealand, who have received the honour of being presented a Gold Shovel as a symbol of recognition for their services to Water New Zealand and the wider New Zealand water industry These members are also known as the 5S Society. Water New Zealand has also contributed to the Award by providing a complimentary registration fee for the award recipient to attend the selected conference.
This Award has been developed to further foster the Young Water Professionals Group of Water New Zealand. This Group is made up of young water industry professionals. The aim of Young Water Professionals is to facilitate the exchange of interests and ideas on water management in New Zealand. The Young Water Professionals objectives are to provide regionally based interaction between young water professionals and encourage younger water professionals and students to become more involved in the water industry.
This Award has been initiated to give the opportunity for recent graduates to attend the Water New Zealand Annual Conference or the Water New Zealand International Stormwater Conference, in order that they may broaden their knowledge and gain greater appreciation of the water environment, water management, water engineering and the water industry at large. The objective of providing this opportunity to the recipient is that they will be better informed and motivated to advance their career in the wider water field and water industry.
Conditions of Entry
Those eligible to enter include:
- New Zealand tertiary qualified personnel who are 25 years of age or younger and are working in the water environment, water engineering and water management fields or in water related research; or
- students who are 25 years of age or under, who have obtained an undergraduate degree from a New Zealand tertiary institution in a water related field, and who are studying for a post graduate qualification
For the purpose of this Award, water includes fresh and marine waters and water engineering includes water supply, wastewater, storm water, irrigation, hydro-electric power and related topics.
- Name of Applicant
- Postal Address
- City and Postcode
- University or Technical qualification obtained; or post graduate course being studied and the Course level/stage/individual subjects
- Experience in the water sector to date - for those in employment (no more than 100 words)
- Career aspirations (no more than 100 words)
- The water related topic to be covered in the presentation to a local Water New Zealand branch meeting or a Young Water Professionals meeting (no more than 100 words)
- Reason for applying for this Award (no more than 100 words)
Entry requirements are to be received by Water New Zealand by mail or email 5pm on Friday, 26 August 2016.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com
The Award winner for each year will receive:
- travel and accommodation to Water New Zealand's Annual Conference or Annual International Storm water Conference sponsored by the holders of the Gold Shovel Award; and
- a full registration to the Annual Conference, or the International Storm water Conference including the Conference Dinner, provided by Water New Zealand.
Following their attendance at their chosen Conference, the Award winner will be required to make a presentation to either a local Water New Zealand branch meeting or a Young Water Professionals meeting in their geographic area covering their observations of the conference attended, and to present on a water related topic of their choice. The duration of the total presentation should be approximately 30 minutes followed by questions and discussion. A written summary of the presentation shall also be submitted to Water New Zealand for publication in the bi-monthly Water journal.
Judges and Judging Criteria
The Judging Panel shall consist of four judges.
The judging criteria shall be based on:
- University or Technical Course being studied, the Course level/stage and Academic Record to date
- experience in the water sector to date if relevant
- career aspirations
- the water related topic to be covered in the presentation to a local Water New Zealand Young Water Professionals meeting
- reason for applying for this Award.
The Judges reserve the right to not offer the award or offer more than one Award per year depending on the quality of entrants. The Judges' decision will be final.
Past recipients of this award:
Charlie Clague, Stantec New Zealand Ltd
Michaela Aspell, Tonkin & Taylor