What happened in Havelock North?

Annual Conference

In August 2016 an estimated 5,500 people became ill with campylobacteriosis in Havelock North, Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand, after drinking the town’s water supply. Some 45 were subsequently hospitalised and there may have been 3 associated deaths. A number of affected people continue to suffer ongoing health complications as a result of the illness. The outbreak was traced to contamination of untreated water supplied by two bores from what was considered to be a confined aquifer.

This presentation will set the scene for the rest of the workshop by providing a high level summary of the events that unfolded at the time and of the findings of the subsequent government inquiry in relation to the cause of the outbreak.

Conference Papers

1 - Drinking Water workshop - Caroline McElnay.pdf

836 KB
06 Oct 2017