Rivers Operations Engineer
Marlborough is unique for many reasons. The region offers an array of outdoor pursuits in a distinctive and picturesque landscape. With one-fifth of the New Zealand coastline in the Marlborough Sounds, the land and sea offer unlimited accessibility for sports and leisure.
Marlborough District Council is a dynamic, progressive organisation which prides itself on the professionalism it brings to managing a wide range of functions. Our vision is that over the next decade, Marlborough will become a globally-connected district of progressive, high-value enterprise, known for its quality lifestyle, desirable location and natural environment.
The Rivers & Drainage team is responsible for the implementation and review of Council’s river control and drainage asset management plans and policies, through maintaining existing works and capital upgrading works. Council’s main areas of operations are on the lower Wairau plains, including tributary works, and in Picton/Waikawa. The team also provides advice to the Regulatory Department on flood hazard matters and manages Council’s flood response procedures.
As Rivers Operations Engineer you will be involved with planning, designing, constructing and maintaining river control works in a cost effective manner. The role also monitors and reports on the condition of flood protection assets; and provides advice to landowners.
We are looking for an engineer, preferably with 5 - 10 years relevant experience, but this is not essential. As a minimum you will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Natural Resources or similar) or the equivalent technical degree.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Solid organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to maintaining a positive safety culture and living our values of respect, professionalism and integrity.
Senior Rivers Operations Engineer
You may already work at a senior level and be looking for a lifestyle change in sunny Marlborough; or you may be looking to take that next step up in your career. In addition to the above requirements you will have at least 10 years relevant work experience, have solid leadership skills and be a willing and proactive team member who enjoys supporting others to develop.
Rivers Operations Engineer
You may have a passion for environmental engineering and be looking to specialise in rivers management; or you may be a new graduate who is looking to consolidate your training with an expert rivers team. Whilst relevant, hands-on work experience is preferred, it is not essential if you are self-motivated and have an aptitude for personal development.
- A workplace that supports flexibility, health and wellbeing.
- An environment where input, initiative and innovation is encouraged.
- A fantastic learning environment and support for continuing education.
- A competitive remuneration and benefits package (including health insurance, life insurance, income protection insurance, enhanced superannuation and 5 weeks annual leave).
- Relocation support (where applicable).
If you’re ready to progress your career with Marlborough District Council, apply now!
Applications close 5.00 pm on 8 November 2021.
Applications should be made online via the careers section of Marlborough District Council’s website where you will find full information on the vacancy and how to apply.
For further information you are welcome to contact Geoff Dick (Rivers & Drainage Engineer) on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: 5 November 2021