BACKFLOW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
Backflow protection ensures drinking water supplies are kept safe from contamination or pollution due to backflow, and as such, is an essential component of ensuring a safe drinking water supply.
The Water New Zealand Backflow Special Interest Group (SIG) advocates for industry best practice through education, conferences and forums, standards, legislation and guidelines. It is the single biggest pool of collective knowledge on backflow in New Zealand and represents all aspects of the backflow industry, including manufacturers, plumbers, training providers, water suppliers and building compliance officials.
The Group holds monthly meetings, conducts regular training webinars, hosts a bi-annual conference, and actively feeds into discussions and decision-making around policy, standards, regulations and guidelines. For access to resources, professional development information, or to learn more about projects underway, use the links to the right to access our subpages.
In addition to members communication, the group is an active contributor to other industry groups and organisations, for example contributing articles to the BOINZ magazine, and Master Plumbers’ journal. It publishes a periodic newsletter, Flowback. To receive a copy of Flowback, or, get involved in other group activities follow instructions below.
The Water New Zealand Backflow Special Interest Group objectives are to;
- Assist in the definition and promotion of best industry practice for the management of backflow within New Zealand.
- Disseminate information related to backflow issues.
- Provide a forum for the discussion of backflow issues.
- Promote and undertake projects in areas of common need and interest.
- Assist and provide comment on national industry standards and policies.
- Promote lines of communication within all sectors of the backflow community.
- Promote education and public understanding of backflow issues.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Backflow Special Interest Group’s full Terms of Reference are here
To keep abreast of the group’s activities: follow these instructions to sign up for group updates, and the Flowback newsletter, on your Water New Zealand dashboard. If you are not a Water New Zealand member, you can still sign up for association updates through Water New Zealand’s fortnightly or apply for membership.
To register your interest in joining the committee: Contact our Group’s co-ordinator Katrina Guy.
Chair: Paul van den Berg