Senior Groundwater Scientist
Fixed Term, Full Time
- Live the slow life; fast track your career
- Professional development, competitive salary and excellent benefits
- "Fantastic opportunity to express yourself and generate innovation"
Businesses talk about Diversity and Flexibility - We live it. We are the Gisborne District Council and we are passionate about Diversity and Flexibility in our workplace. Flexibility in how you build a career path, diversity in the skills you will learn and the variety of projects you will have the opportunity to work on.
We are currently looking for a Senior Groundwater Scientist (12 month fixed term) to join our growing team and help shape the future of our region. You will be well supported by a team that prides ourselves on nurturing an open workspace that embraces innovation and creativity. With Treaty partnership front of mind, we're serious about building a workforce that enhances our commitment to deliver. So bring your passion and leading-edge ideas to GDC.
Here are just a few of the benefits our employees enjoy:
- Ability to balance your hours around your family and other commitments.
- Flexibility to work on a range of different projects and tasks, no day will be the same and we encourage you to get stuck in to anything that piques your interest.
- Relocation allowance
A bit about you: You will be passionate about the environment and in particular both freshwater and the coastal environments. You'll be working across many stakeholders, therefore, superb communication, problem solving, and organisation skills are a must.
The ideal candidate will have the ability and experience to:
- Review and interpret groundwater technical information and data.
- Oversee and undertake groundwater quality and quantity scientific investigations.
- Lead Council's hydrogeological analysis for groundwater bore drilling operations, carried out on Council's behalf by a contractor, including through providing advice.
- Communicate technical information clearly and concisely to a wide audience both through effective scientific reports and memos and through presentations.
Your day will look like:
- Providing expert advice on resource consents involving groundwater use issues.
- Developing and lead groundwater projects. Ensuring the projects are delivered to time, quality and budget.
- Supervising consultants' successful delivery of groundwater projects.
- Building relationship with mana whenua and key stakeholders with interests in groundwater in Tairāwhiti including industry and the community.
- Developing, implementing and reporting groundwater environmental monitoring programmes including for state of the environment reporting.
You'll also recognise the importance of the role as a Treaty partner and understand how that underpins Gisborne District Council's work.
Who we are: Gisborne District Council is the local government, both district and regional authority for Tairawhiti, New Zealand. We are the proud winners of the 2019 LGNZ Excellence Awards, for our work to grow and promote the well-being of our community and people. With more and more people choosing Tairāwhiti for its lifestyle, environment and culture, it's an exciting time to be joining our thriving and diverse region.
Tairāwhiti is more than an afterthought; not just somewhere you happen to pass through on your way elsewhere. Tairāwhiti is an intentional destination. We embody intent in our relationships, work, culture and vision. Here, you will find everything you are looking for, including friendly, vibrant people from all walks of life, affordable housing, great schools and a real sense of community with no traffic! Do you love food, culture, wine and surf beaches? If you're not in Gisborne, you're missing out! So, what are you waiting for? Join us in Gisborne and be one of the first people in New Zealand to see the sun each morning!
Applications close: 5 October 2022