Laboratory Assistant and Technician
Location: Hamilton City
Employment Type: Permanent
Applications Close: 12 February 2023
We have two permanent laboratory roles available in our Sampling and Analysis Team.
Based in Hamilton at the Council’s accredited laboratory, our Sampling and Analysis team provide sampling and analytical services to multiple councils in the Waikato Sub-Region. The team undertakes water sampling, equipment calibration and maintenance, and physical, chemical and biological testing of natural, treated and waste waters.
Laboratory staff are trusted to work independently and manage their time effectively, so we're looking for organised people who plan ahead but can also adapt to changes in priorities and workloads.
As well as learning and performing sampling, testing and calibration methods, you will have the opportunity to participate in the development of standard operating procedures and make recommendations for improvement, and help the team maintain its IANZ accredited sampling and testing scope.
We have the opportunity for two individuals to join the team. A graduate/entry-level role as a Laboratory Assistant and an experienced Laboratory Technician.
You will have:
- Preferably an NZCS or a relevant tertiary qualification in Science (Technician role)
- A working knowledge of ISO 17025 and IANZ accreditation requirements (Technician role)
- Previous experience in a laboratory
- The ability to use and improve laboratory computer systems
- A current and clean full driver's licence (class 1)
- Good eye for detail
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to build positive working relationships
- A can-do, solution focussed approach to challenges
You will be:
- Familiar with calibration and maintenance of laboratory testing equipment
- Able to keep clear records and follow documented methods
- Able to adopt new technology and systems
- A clear communicator
This role usually works 7.30am - 4pm Monday to Friday, as well as working at least one in five weekends as rostered. You may be required to assist with work on public holidays, weekends and on-call duties.
We can offer:
- Negotiable salary based on skills and experience with a yearly review
- Some flexibility with working hours based around our business needs
- On-the-job development and learning
- Relocation allowance available to move locally
- Free medical insurance
View the Position Descriptions below:
Hamilton City Council is committed to becoming the leading community-focused Council, so Hamilton’s full potential is unlocked making it the best place to live.
If either of these role sounds like it’s for you, we would love to hear from you. Make it happen and apply online today!
All candidates will be notified of the outcome on their application via email. Short-listed candidates may be required to complete an interview process, reference checks, pre-employment medical, drug and alcohol assessments, credit check and a Ministry of Justice or Police vetting check.
We will only collect personal information from you, or any relevant agencies with your consent, in accordance with our obligations in the Privacy Act 2020, which are to only undertake pre-employment screening checks relevant to the specific duties and functions of the role being advertised. The types of checks we conduct will vary depending on the role. You can find more information by clicking here about our recruitment process including the specific checks we undertake for each role.
Hamilton City Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture.
Please note this role is being sourced directly and we are not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies. Due to border restrictions, only people who are already eligible to live and work in New Zealand should apply. Evidence will be required.
Applications close: 12 February 2023