Established in 2009, the Young Water Professional of the Year is aimed at acknowledging and rewarding one young water professional who has made a significant contribution to the water industry and the general community, and has demonstrated exceptional achievement in the early stages of his or her career.
This award recognises that the water industry encompasses a wide field of disciplines including, but not limited to, research, policy development, law, education, engineering, consulting, construction and community initiatives.
The Young Water Professional of the Year is open to individual members who are under 35 years of age. Non-members may also apply if they have submitted an individual membership form with payment to Water New Zealand prior to, or at the same time as their nomination form. There are no entry fees.
1. Curriculum vitae (including photographs) as evidence of achieving:
- a high level of academic achievement
- at least 12 months work or research experience
- exceptional achievement in his or her career
- outstanding communication skills
- commitment to volunteer activities.
2. Two supporting statements of no more than 500 words written by peers of the candidate who work in the water industry. The statements must include telephone and email contact details of each of the referees. Ideally, one statement will be from the employer of the nominee. The second statement could be from a mentor, colleague, a Water New Zealand Board member or client.
3. A personal statement written by the candidate addressing each of the issues outlined below in the context of their working environment. This should be no more than 500 words:
- an understanding of the role and purpose of the water profession within society
- importance of good communication skills
- the future of the water industry
4. Supporting documentation (optional) may include: articles, media, conferences presented at and relevant websites. This is limited to a maximum of five pages.
Nominations close at 5pm on Friday, 21 August. Submit your nomination to email@example.com
Judges and Judging Criteria
All entries will be assessed by a panel of three judges. The judging panel will comprise:
- one young water professional as nominated by the Chair of the Technical Committee;
- one Water New Zealand representative as nominated by the President; and
- one industry representative nominated by Water New Zealand's premier sponsors (from an organisation without a nominee for this award).
The judges reserve the right to not offer the award, or to offer an additional certificate of achievement, depending on the quality of entries. The judge's decision will be final. The successful candidate will be endorsed by the Technical Committee of Water New Zealand prior to announcement at the annual conference.
The Young Water Professional of the Year will receive a significant prize, including a suitable trophy, cash or in-kind goods or services.
This award was introduced in 2009 and Water New Zealand thanks Beca for its generous sponsorship of the award.
Recipients of this Award:
India Elioart, WSP
Matthew Ewen, Filtec Technology Ltd
Nicola Smalberger, Harrison Grierson
Simon Mason, Downer
Dr Annie Feng, MWH Global
Caleb Clarke, Morphum Environmental Limited
Suzanne Naylor, Watercare Services Limited
Matt Savage, Chartered Chemical Engineer and
Managing Director, Apex Environmental Ltd