Environmental Mitigation and Enhancement Fund Assessment Panel - Expressions of Interest
Hei oranga whenua, hei oranga moana, hei oranga tangata.
Healthy land, healthy waters, healthy people.
Tauranga City Council is seeking to appoint an independent panel to assess applications to the Environmental Mitigation & Enhancement Fund (EMEF) and make recommendations to the Wastewater Management Review Committee (WWMRC) regarding eligible projects.
The fund is a requirement of council’s wastewater discharge consent and administered by the WWMRC. Its purpose is to fund and facilitate measures and initiatives particularly in Te Tahuna o Rangataua (Upper Tauranga Harbour) to:
- Avoid, remedy or mitigate the actual and potential effects of the wastewater scheme, in its broadest sense.
- Acknowledge and provide environmental compensation for ongoing adverse environmental effects -including offence to tangata whenua cultural and spiritual values- associated with the Wastewater Scheme.
- Enhance the environment, which has been adversely affected by the wastewater scheme.
This creates an exciting opportunity for the appointment of up to five panel members for which we are seeking expressions of interest. The EMEF Panel will consider the suitability of applications to the fund and provide recommendations to the WWMRC.
Successful candidates will be able to show expertise in the following areas:
- Te Ao Māori: a strong understanding of Kaupapa Māori concepts of environmental management in relation to the mana whenua of Tauranga Moana.
- Effects and impacts of wastewater schemes.
- Project management and governance skills.
- Marine and freshwater scientific knowledge.
- Effects on cultural values of wastewater schemes.
- Environmental management: being a strong understanding of best practice approaches of environmental remediation and enhancement.
The panel will report directly to the Wastewater Management Review Committee and is appointed on an annual basis.
Expressions of Interest are invited to:
Tauranga City Council
Private Bag 12022
Expressions of Interest close 5:00pm, 29 January 2021. All applications will be dealt with in strict confidence.
Please contact Radleigh Cairns, Tauranga City Council, on (07) 577 7391 for an information pack or if you have any enquiries relating to the position or visit the website.