Welcome to the homepage for the Water New Zealand Backflow Group.
The Groups mission statement is:
Our mission is to advocate industry best practice through education, conferences and forums, standards, legislation and guidelines.
The Water New Zealand Backflow Group is the pre-eminent collective of knowledge on backflow in New Zealand. We represent all aspects of the backflow industry, including manufacturers, plumbers, training providers, water suppliers and building compliance officials.
The Groups Key objectives include:
- Assist in the definition and promotion of best industry practice for the management of backflow within New Zealand
- To disseminate information related to backflow issues
- To provide a forum for the discussion of backflow issues
- To promote and undertake projects in areas of common need and interest
- Assist and provide comment on national industry standards and policies
- To promote lines of communication within all sectors of the backflow community
- To promote education and public understanding of backflow issues
The Groups Key Activities include:
- The creation of two Level 3 Unit Standards for Backflow Testing and one Level 5 Surveying Unit Standard (Surveying is currently on hold with the Skills organisation for use in setting criteria for IQP registration).
- Attend AS/NZ 2845 Standard Committee.
- The Backflow Group in consultation with industry and in conjunction with the Master Plumbers created a new National Standard for the Field Testing of Backflow Devices and Verification of Air Gaps
- In late 2020 the Backflow Code of Practice will undergo a complete overhaul in line with the new Water Services Regulator Bill.
- Since 2012 the Group has been liaising with ECAN around the use of fertigators and chemigators within the Canterbury Districts in helping provide guidance and solutions to Backflow issues. Richard Atkin and Wayne Shields are currently leading on this engagement.
- Completion of the Water Suppliers Code of Practice (Backflow)
- Start of the New Zealand Standard of Backflow Surveyors
- WS-104 - Richard Atiken sits on this Board as a New Zealand representative
The Backflow Groups full Terms of Reference is here.
We welcome your comments and feedback - please contact the Backflow Group liaison.